St. Clair™ 1896 Alfine 8 adventure bicycle
WILBUR & ORVILLE COLLECTION
The Wright brothers named one of their bicycle models the St. Clair, paying homage to Arthur St. Clair, the first governor of the Northwest Territory, which later became Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. The St. Clair built by the Wright brothers was largely built up from high-quality parts available through multiple sources, as is The Wright Brothers® St. Clair™ 1896 Alfine 8 bicycle with such features as chain power drive, 8-speed internal rear hub and front & rear disc brakes—all specified for a perfect blend of a road/touring ride.
Please call our shop at 937.223.7500 (or email at Info@TheWrightBrothersUSA.com) and ask for “Professor Bike.” We are happy to address any questions that you may have and assure that your bike is best fitted to your preferences.
The St. Clair 1896 is built to order. Please allow three–four months for delivery.
- Featuring the same painstaking care and precision, Co-Motion builds each St. Clair 1896 model by hand in Eugene, Oregon. They use their uniquely designed Reynolds 725 heat-treated, double-butted, Cro-Moly tubing to make each frame and fork to exacting standards that have been developed over three decades of pursuing perfection. In fact, it is the same frame down to the bolted right seat-stay to drop-out junction that allows you to upgrade to Gates Carbon Drive.
- Although our pricing goals mean that many of the premium, U.S.A. parts are not featured on the St. Clair 1896 model, we have chosen tried-and-true parts from around the world that maintain the spirit of adventure and innovation in every bike we make.
- Notably, Velocity rims and wheels are maintained on these bikes, built in Grand Rapids, Michigan. First produced in Brisbane, Australia, the rim production moved to Jacksonville, Florida in 2012, but in December 2016 rim production has joined the wheel building department in Grand Rapids.
- Shimano Alfine 8 internal hub gearing is designed by the innovative engineers in Japan. Based on multiple planetary gear sets in an oil bath, creating 8 distinct gear ratios that span an overall range of 306%.
- SRAM, a Chicago-based company, makes the Avid BB5 brake in several parts of the world. The BB5 set the standard for a powerful, easily adjustable, long-lasting, mechanical, disc brake with easy-to-change pads. SRAM also makes the 850 drive chain, a noted chain standard around the world.
- FSA makes the stem and sealed bearing headset. This Taiwanese company is a leader in quality, original equipment bicycle parts.
- Race Face designs and test their innovative, high-quality parts in the wilds (city and mountains) of Vancouver, B.C., Canada. The Ride XC seat post can take all the adventure you can throw at it.
- Accessory mounts: 2 water bottle mounts, rear rack mounts, front low-rider mounts, front and rear fender mounts
- Bottom bracket: Co-Motion eccentric with Shimano external bearing cartridge
- Brakes: Avid BB5, 160 mm rotors, 6-bolt front, center-lock rear
- Crankset: Shimano Alfine, 170 mm arms, 39t chainring
- Drive: SRAM 850 chain
- Fork: Co-Motion taper-gauge Cro-Moly with CNC steerer (U.S.A.)
- Frame: Co-Motion-designed Reynolds 725 heat-treated, double-butted, Cro-Moly tubing (U.S.A.)
- Front & rear dérailleurs: none
- Gears: Shimano Alfine 8, internal rear hub gearing, 8 speeds
- Grips/tape: ESI Extra Chunky silicone grips (U.S.A.)
- Handlebar: Co-Motion/FSA city bar
- Headset: FSA Orbit X 1-1/8“, Black
- Kick stand: 2-leg center stand
- Levers: Avid flat bar levers
- Pedals: none
- Saddle: Selle Italia Nekkar Flow
- Seatpost: Race Face Ride XC, straight, 27.2 mm diameter, Black
- Shifter: Alfine 8 Rapid Fire
- Stem: FSA Gossamer, 100 mm , 6 deg, Black
- Tires: Schwalbe Marathon 650B x 42
- Wheelset: DT 350 Disc front hub/Velocity Dyad rim 650B; Shimano Alfine 8 rear hub/Velocity Dyad rim 650B (U.S.A.)
Wilbur & Orville Collection bicycles
The Wilbur & Orville Collection bicycles are the ideal hybrid of the efficiency of a road bike and the reliability of a touring rig. They are our answers to you who are looking for the best of both as you pursue your adventure, not matter what your path—asphalt, cement, crushed limestone or dirt. Each Wilbur & Orville Collection product comes with The Wright Brothers® Certificate of Authenticity document complete with serial number.
|Dimensions||70 x 9 x 40 in|
46 cm, 50 cm, 52 cm, 54 cm, 56 cm, 58 cm, 60 cm, 62 cm
|Frame Size||46 cm||50 cm||52 cm||54 cm||56 cm||58 cm||60 cm||62 cm|
|Seat tube C-T (cm)||43||47||49||51||53||55||57||59|
|Top tube length horizontal (cm)||51.5||52.0||53.0||53.5||54.5||56.5||58.0||58.5|
|Head tube angle||72°||72°||72°||72°||72°||72°||72°||72°|
|Seat tube angle||75.0°||74.5°||74.5°||74.0°||73.5°||73.0°||73.0°||72.5°|
|Top tube angle||16.0°||12.0°||10.5°||9.0°||8.5°||6.5°||6.0°||6.0°|
|Head tube length (mm)||105||105||125||125||145||145||165||185|
|Chainstay length (cm)||45||45||45||45||45||45||45||45|
|BB height (cm)||26.4||26.4||26.4||26.4||26.4||26.4||26.4||26.4|
|BB drop (mm)||79||79||79||79||79||79||79||79|
|Standover height (cm)||70.7||73.6||75.2||76.8||78.6||79.8||81.6||83.3|
|Fork span (mm)||396||396||396||396||396||396||396||396|
Thanks for buying The Wright Brothers® bicycle featuring the frame and fork manufactured by Co-Motion. Your new bike should come to you fully assembled and ready to ride. As you begin to put miles on your The Wright Brothers bicycle it will need some occasional maintenance. Your local bicycle shop should be able to help you with these things. If you have any questions about how to properly maintain your bicycle, the Co-Motion website (www.co-motion.com) has a wealth of information to help you do it. The website is updated regularly, but if the information you seek isn’t there please feel free to call The Wright Brothers Store at 937.223.7500; or e-mail at: info@TheWrightBrothersUSA.com.
Co-Motion frames, forks and stems carry a limited lifetime warranty. Any failure resulting from faulty material or manufacture will be repaired or replaced at our discretion. Components are warranted by their respective manufacturers.
Should you feel that you have a warranty issue, your first step is to contact The Wright Brothers Store. We will confer with Co-Motion to determine the best course of action. We will make every effort to remedy the problem as soon as possible. On warranty work, The Wright Brothers Store will pay shipping within the U.S. at standard delivery rates. Expedited and/or upgraded shipping is available, at cost to you, the owner. The Co-Motion Cycles’ warranty is applicable for original owners only.
Support the Wright brothers’ legacy
A large portion of the license royalties from the sale of The Wright Brothers® merchandise goes to The Wright Brothers Family Foundation, whose focus is on preservation of Hawthorn Hill, the Wright brothers’ family home in the Oakwood suburb of Dayton, and on promoting the hometown legacy of the Wright brothers while supporting various aviation heritage causes worldwide.
Place a visit to Dayton on your bucket list and explore the Birthplace of Aviation. The National Aviation Heritage Area (NAHA) includes various Wright brothers sites including the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park, Dayton History, Woodland Historic Cemetery & Arboretum, Wright B Flyer, Inc, Wright State University Wright Archives and more.
Shipping & returns
Free Shipping applies to all orders over $100.00, shipped via UPS Ground within the Continental United States (exclusive of Alaska, Hawaii & U.S. Territories). A return-shipping label is included in each package of non-promotional items. Free Shipping details are subject to change at anytime without notice.
Please note your email address will not be published with your review.