Van Cleve™ 1896 Alfine 11 adventure bicycle
WILBUR & ORVILLE COLLECTION
In their soon-to-become-famous bicycle shop, the Wright brothers built their top-of-the-line Van Cleve model. The Van Cleves, ancestors of the Wrights, had been among Dayton’s first settlers. Inspired by the meticulous craft that went into that model, The Wright Brothers® Van Cleve™ 1896 Alfine 11 bicycle sports such innovative features as belt power drive, 11-speed internal rear hub and front & rear disc brakes—all specified for a reliable adventure ride.
Please call our shop at 937.223.7500 (or email at Info@TheWrightBrothersUSA.com) and ask for “Professor Bike.” We are happy to address any questions that you may have and assure that your bike is best fitted to your preferences.
All bikes are built to order. Please allow three–four months for delivery.
Some of the finest bicycle products in the world are made in the U.S.A. Our Van Cleve 1896 model includes these made in the U.S.A. features:
- Co-Motion builds each Van Cleve 1896 model by hand in Eugene, Oregon. They use their uniquely designed Reynolds 725 heat-treated, double-butted, Cro-Moly tubing to make each frame and fork to exacting standards that have been developed over three decades of pursuing perfection.
- Gates Carbon Drive was developed in Denver, Colorado by the global leader in automotive and industrial drive belts to bring quiet, clean and durable drive to high-performance bicycling.
- Chris King headsets are made in Portland, Oregon to the highest standards of design, CNC machining and assembly (including the sealed, angular contact bearings) to make a headset that carries a 10-year warranty.
- Thomson posts and stems have been made in Macon, Georgia bringing durability, value and performance to high-end bicycle parts through many innovative patents and designs.
- Velocity rims and wheels are built in Grand Rapids, Michigan. First produced in Brisbane, Australia, the rim production moved to Jacksonville, Florida in 2012, but in December 2016 rim production has joined the wheel building department in Grand Rapids.
- Selle Anatomica say, “We make the world’s most comfortable leather saddle. Period.” Fully made in America from parts sourced in Wisconsin and assembled in San Diego, California.
Some of the unique parts are not available from U.S.A. sources, but are key to meeting our goals of adventure and innovation.
- Shimano Alfine 11 internal hub gearing is designed by the innovative engineers in Japan. Based on multiple planetary gear sets in an oil bath, creating 11 distinct gear ratios that span an overall range of 408%.
- TRP makes the Spyre brake in Taiwan to precise tolerances. The most critical innovation is its actuation of both left and right brake pads symmetrically. This improves braking, ease of set-up and durability over most mechanical brakes which move only one pad that bends the rotor into contact with the other, stationary pad.
- Accessory mounts: 2 water bottle mounts, rear rack mounts, front low-rider mounts, front and rear fender mounts
- Bottom bracket: Co-Motion eccentric with Shimano external bearing cartridge
- Brakes: TRP Spyre, PM front, 160 mm 6-bolt rotor; TRP Spyre, IS rear, 160 mm center-lock rotor
- Crankset: Shimano Alfine 170 mm arms with Gates CenterTrack 39t front sprocket (U.S.A.)
- Drive: Gates Carbon Drive CDX belt 118t (U.S.A.)
- Fork: Co-Motion taper-gauge Cro-Moly with CNC steerer (U.S.A.)
- Frame: Co-Motion-designed Reynolds 725 heat-treated, double-butted, Cro-Moly tubing (U.S.A.)
- Front & rear dérailleurs: none
- Gears: Shimano Shimano Alfine 11, internal rear hub gearing, 11 speeds
- Grips/tape: Co-Motion/Lizard Skin lock-on grips, Black
- Handlebar: Co-Motion/FSA city bar
- Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet 1-1/8“, Black (U.S.A.)
- Kick stand: 2-leg center stand
- Levers: Shimano flat bar levers, road pull
- Pedals: none
- Saddle: Selle Anatomica X1, Black with gunmetal rivets (U.S.A.)
- Seatpost: Thomson Elite, straight, 27.2 mm diameter, Black (U.S.A.)
- Shifter: Alfine 11 Rapid Fire
- Stem: Thomson Elite, X2, 100 mm, 10 deg, Black (U.S.A.)
- Tires: Vittoria Randonneur Pro 700 x 35
- Wheelset: DT 350 Disc front hub/Velocity Dyad rim 700c; Shimano Alfine 11 rear hub/Velocity Dyad rim 700c (U.S.A.)
Wilbur & Orville Collection bicycles
The Wilbur & Orville Collection bicycles are the ideal hybrid of the efficiency of a road bike and the reliability of a touring rig. They are our answers to you who are looking for the best of both as you pursue your adventure, not matter what your path—asphalt, cement, crushed limestone or dirt. Each Wilbur & Orville Collection product comes with The Wright Brothers® Certificate of Authenticity document complete with serial number.
|Dimensions||70 x 9 x 40 in|
46 cm, 50 cm, 52 cm, 54 cm, 56 cm, 58 cm, 60 cm, 62 cm
|Frame Size||46 cm||50 cm||52 cm||54 cm||56 cm||58 cm||60 cm||62 cm|
|Seat tube C-T (cm)||43||47||49||51||53||55||57||59|
|Top tube length horizontal (cm)||51.5||52.0||53.0||53.5||54.5||56.5||58.0||58.5|
|Head tube angle||72°||72°||72°||72°||72°||72°||72°||72°|
|Seat tube angle||75.0°||74.5°||74.5°||74.0°||73.5°||73.0°||73.0°||72.5°|
|Top tube angle||16.0°||12.0°||10.5°||9.0°||8.5°||6.5°||6.0°||6.0°|
|Head tube length (mm)||105||105||125||125||145||145||165||185|
|Chainstay length (cm)||45||45||45||45||45||45||45||45|
|BB height (cm)||26.4||26.4||26.4||26.4||26.4||26.4||26.4||26.4|
|BB drop (mm)||79||79||79||79||79||79||79||79|
|Standover height (cm)||70.7||73.6||75.2||76.8||78.6||79.8||81.6||83.3|
|Fork span (mm)||396||396||396||396||396||396||396||396|
Thanks for buying The Wright Brothers® bicycle featuring the frame and fork manufactured by Co-Motion. Your new bike should come to you fully assembled and ready to ride. As you begin to put miles on your The Wright Brothers bicycle it will need some occasional maintenance. Your local bicycle shop should be able to help you with these things. If you have any questions about how to properly maintain your bicycle, the Co-Motion website (www.co-motion.com) has a wealth of information to help you do it. The website is updated regularly, but if the information you seek isn’t there please feel free to call The Wright Brothers Store at 937.223.7500; or e-mail at: info@TheWrightBrothersUSA.com.
Co-Motion frames, forks and stems carry a limited lifetime warranty. Any failure resulting from faulty material or manufacture will be repaired or replaced at our discretion. Components are warranted by their respective manufacturers.
Should you feel that you have a warranty issue, your first step is to contact The Wright Brothers Store. We will confer with Co-Motion to determine the best course of action. We will make every effort to remedy the problem as soon as possible. On warranty work, The Wright Brothers Store will pay shipping within the U.S. at standard delivery rates. Expedited and/or upgraded shipping is available, at cost to you, the owner. The Co-Motion Cycles’ warranty is applicable for original owners only.
Support the Wright brothers’ legacy
A percentage of the license royalties from the sale of The Wright Brothers® merchandise goes to The Wright Brothers Family Foundation, whose focus is on preservation of Hawthorn Hill, the Wright brothers’ family home in the Oakwood suburb of Dayton, and on promoting the hometown legacy of the Wright brothers while supporting various aviation heritage causes worldwide.
Place a visit to Dayton on your bucket list and explore the Birthplace of Aviation. The National Aviation Heritage Area (NAHA) includes various Wright brothers sites including the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park, Dayton History, Woodland Historic Cemetery & Arboretum, Wright B Flyer, Inc, Wright State University Wright Archives and more.
Shipping & returns
Free Shipping applies to all orders over $100.00, shipped via UPS Ground within the Continental United States (exclusive of Alaska, Hawaii & U.S. Territories). A return-shipping label is included in each package of non-promotional items. Free Shipping details are subject to change at anytime without notice.
Please note your email address will not be published with your review.